I’m a huge fan of Emily Giffin’s books. Huge. I-should-be-president-of-her-fan-club kind of huge.
Here’s what I learned from the movie:
- It’s never too late.
- Grinding a guy’s leg while dancing will cause you to pull a muscle near your vagina.
- You’ll never get what you want unless you ask for it.
- If a girl is too clingy, don’t tell her you’re gay. She’ll just want you more.
- New York City is completely empty 4th of July weekend…except for your parents.
- You didn’t waste your 20s, you grew up.
This movie didn’t get the best reviews, but I enjoyed it. Rachel, who is essentially the girl next door, ends up sleeping with her best friend’s (Darcy’s) fiance (Dex).
So the audience is in a difficult position:
- Rachel is the “good girl.” So why is she sleeping with her friend’s fiance?
- Darcy isn’t a very likeable character, but they still feel some sympathy for her…until they find out she kinda stole Dex from Rachel and that Darcy’s been cheating on Dex as well.
But good people sometimes do bad things. Sometimes people make mistakes.
And in the next book, Darcy becomes less bitchy, and everything works out for her.
Did you read the book or see the movie? What did you think?