I cried for all the things I had given, only to have them stolen; for all the things I asked for that had yet to show up.
Recently, I put aside my current reads (The 19th Wife and The Help) to read The Breakup Book by Diane Mastromarino.
The book had an equation to figure out how long it takes to get over your ex. When I plugged in all the numbers, it said 384.8 months. So…
A. I did the math wrong.
B. The author wants me to get depressed and become a crazy old cat lady.
C. It was a mistake to break up with Kiefer.
D. The author wants me to feel good about myself when I get over Kiefer in less than 384.8 months.
E. There is no equation for how long it takes to get an over an ex.
The book said to date yourself, fall in love with you. And I’m going to do just that:
- Buy a new outfit.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Take a long walk.
- Have a cocktail.
“Buy yourself ice cream” wasn’t on the list, but I added it.
If you’re going through a breakup, maybe this will help you. Here’s a list of Don’ts.
- Don’t call, email, text, etc. Don’t play the role he expects you to play. And give him a chance to miss you.
- You can be sad, but not when your ex is around.
- When you start dating again, don’t rush. Start slow.
Here’s a list of To Dos.
- Do whatever you need to do at this moment to make your heart feel better…as long as it’s not one of those things listed above.
- Be busy.
- Dwell a little on his flaws.
- Look good. It’ll make you feel better.
- Lean on your friends.