You know you have them, too. Movies that you’ll never admit to anyone that you enjoy and probably own. Maybe you pop them in when you’re having a bad day…maybe when you’re having a good day…maybe it’s your movie that you fold laundry to every Saturday.
Whenever someone asks what my favorite movies are, I usually respond with The Crow, Mallrats, Edward Scissorhands, Go, Old School, Sex and the City. I try to hit a variety of genres.
I generally leave off the movies I’m about to mention.
- Newsies: This movie came out when I was young, and Christian Bale (who I crushed on for years) is in it, along with a slew of other hot guys. No further explanation is required.
- Mamma Mia: I like musicals. Even Pierce Brosnan’s singing cannot deter me from watching this.
- Dirty Dancing: Swayze. Don’t most women like this movie?
- A Bug’s Life: This is on my list because I can’t have two cartoons in my favorite movie list. And because I like the short at the beginning of this movie almost as much as I like the movie itself.
- Empire Records: This movie is to me what The Breakfast Club is to Kiefer Sutherland. He can quote that whole movie, and I know Empire Records by heart.
- The Sandlot: I will love this movie FOR-EV-ER.
- The Orphanage: I pronounce loudly and clearly that I hate movies with subtitles. This is my exception. Let’s keep it on the downlow.
- Peter Pan: Fairies and flying and pirates. What’s not to love? I love all versions of this movie.
- Steel Magnolias: I know Julia Roberts collapses with her son, but one time I’ll watch it and she won’t. And I won’t cry.
- I’m keeping one movie to myself!